From the desk of Barbara Rogan:
Welcome to the Next Level Workshop, my online school of writing. My name is Barbara Rogan, and my entire career has been spent in publishing: as a literary agent, an editor, and an author. My eight novels have been published in the U.S. by Simon & Schuster, Doubleday, Morrow, and NAL, and have been translated into a dozen languages. I’ve taught fiction writing courses at Hofstra University and SUNY Farmingdale, but most of my teaching is now done online at Writers Digest online school and in my own Next Level Workshop.
The Next Level Workshops are courses for aspiring and published fiction writers devoted to advancing their work by improving their mastery of the craft. I believe there is no better way to sell your stories than to make the stories better. My students have included writers working on their first novels and published authors determined to keep growing. I teach fiction writers in all genres, including young adult and short stories. I lead all workshops myself and keep the numbers small to ensure that each student receives my full attention.
I also offer individual consultations to writers who have a completed manuscript and want either a professional evaluation with editing guidelines or a full-fledged edit. Working with a professional editor entails a serious commitment of time and money, and it can be difficult to know in advance what you’re getting. Is the fit right? Does the editor’s advice resonate, or does it lead you in a direction you never intended to go? For help making that decision, please see my special get acquainted offer.
I invite you to explore this site: hear from former students, read about the workshop, learn more about my background and my books. To be notified of upcoming writing courses or explore the possibility of a manuscript evaluation, contact me and I’ll gladly get back to you. Thanks for stopping by.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A WRITING TEACHER
- Achievements in the field they’re teaching. If you’re writing fiction, look for published novelists or short story writers with a respectable body of work. If possible, read a book or two before deciding whether you want to learn from that writer. Barbara Rogan’s publishers include Viking, Simon & Schuster, Doubleday, Morrow, and Crown, and her reviews are available here.
- No inflated claims. Anyone who promises that all his students will go on to publish is either a carnival huckster or shilling for a vanity press. The purpose of the Next Level Workshop is implied in its name: it is to help writers raise their craft and their manuscripts to the next level, so that when they are ready to submit, their writing is polished and professional.
- Respect. A teacher who enters into what you are trying to do instead of trying to squash your work into ready-made categories. There are no formulas in writing, no secrets to success, no hard and fast rules you must learn or fail. Barbara’s goal is to get you closer to the book you want to write.
- Limited class size. How much attention your work gets is a direct function of how many students are in the class. Next Level Workshops are limited to 8 for some courses, 10 for others.
- Money-back guarantee. Not all schools offer it, but it’s good to have the option of dropping a course if it’s not what you expected. The Next Level Workshop offers a two-week drop period.
- Track Record. Not every writer can teach. See Barbara’s Testimonials.
- WORKSHOPS: Registration is now open for “One Good Scene”, to begin on October 15, 2020. This workshop is ideal for fiction and memoir writers who want to build on a strong foundation. Anyone can have a good idea for a story, but it takes craft to do justice to those ideas. Space is limited, and for this course it’s first come, first served. Follow the link for more info on course contents and tuition. You can reach me at next.level.workshops [at] gmail [dot] com to ask questions or apply for the course.
My latest novel is on sale! I A DANGEROUS FICTION (Viking/Penguin) is a mystery set in the publishing world of NYC. Bestselling author Diana Gabaldon called it “a terrific read! A thriller with a psychological heart of mystery, a double-ended love story, and a fascinating look at the world of high-stakes publishing.” And Hallie Ephron wrote, “The backstabbing and cutthroat competition we imagine going on behind the scenes in publishing make it the perfect setting for murder, and Barbara Rogan has done it justice in A Dangerous Fiction. I loved every wickedly delicious page.”
A DANGEROUS FICTION is available on Amazon, Indiebound, Barnes and Noble, Apple and all the usual places, along with my other titles.
I You can find me on Twitter as @RoganBarbara, and follow me on my FB author page.